[TriLUG] RH8 red hat packages

Morris Walton mwalton at nc.rr.com
Wed Feb 12 10:07:23 EST 2003

Hi,

Your comments are helpful.  Please see inline.

Behalf
> Of Jeremy Portzer
> Sent: Wednesday, February 12, 2003 9:05 AM
> To: TriLUG List
> Subject: Re: [TriLUG] RH8 red hat packages
>
> On Wed, 2003-02-12 at 08:57, Sinner from the Prairy wrote:
> > On Wednesday 12 February 2003 08:12 am, Morris Walton wrote:
> > > Hi,
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > > The RH8 package manager seems a little bit too dumbed down to me.
> > > have downloaded the entire distribution and installed all that I
> > > wanted.  Now when I want to install another package, I can't tell
If
> it
> > > comes with the distribution and if it does if I have installed it
or
> > > not.  It would be good to have a list of the packages on the
> > > distribution that I haven't installed yet.  Does anybody know how
> do
> > > that?
>
> When you say the "RH8 package manager" -- are you referring to the
> program called "redhat-config-packages" that can be started from the
> menu system?  I agree that it's fairly limited, and the beta for the
> next version of Red Hat Linux has a lot of improvements.  But it still
> should show you which packages you have installed by navigating
through
> the check-boxes.

[Morris] It does show which components, but I don't think it shows which
name.  Being an old mandrake user.... I'm whining about something that
will show what you have intalled from the dist. And what you haven't
installed from the dist. In package names.  For instance, I go to
install a package, and it says I need the following:

[root at home rpm]# rpm -Uvh xine-lib-1.0.0-fr0_beta4.2.i386.rpm
warning: xine-lib-1.0.0-fr0_beta4.2.i386.rpm: V3 DSA signature: NOKEY,
key ID xxxxxx
error: Failed dependencies:
        glut is needed by xine-lib-1.0.0-fr0_beta4.2
        alsa-lib is needed by xine-lib-1.0.0-fr0_beta4.2
        aalib is needed by xine-lib-1.0.0-fr0_beta4.2
        libfame is needed by xine-lib-1.0.0-fr0_beta4.2
        flac is needed by xine-lib-1.0.0-fr0_beta4.2
        xvidcore is needed by xine-lib-1.0.0-fr0_beta4.2
        libaa.so.1 is needed by xine-lib-1.0.0-fr0_beta4.2
        libasound.so.2 is needed by xine-lib-1.0.0-fr0_beta4.2
        libfame-0.9.so.0 is needed by xine-lib-1.0.0-fr0_beta4.2
        libFLAC.so.4 is needed by xine-lib-1.0.0-fr0_beta4.2
[root at home rpm]#

(1)How can I tell if I can get these from RH Distribution?  Should I
just try to run up2date?  You suggest rpmfind.net.  I don't know of a
way to check for these specific packages.
(2)Is rpm -Uvh still the way to install packages?

> To install additional packages that are part of the distribution, I
> suggest using the "up2date" program which can download them from Red
Hat
> Network.  Use "up2date -i <packagename>" to install a specific
package.

> Even better, consider installing apt for rpm from
> http://freshrpms.net/apt/ .  That site also has quite a few RPMs built
> for Red Hat Linux 8.0 of programs that Red Hat doesn't include in the
> standard distribution.

[Morris]

[Morris] ok