[TriLUG] kickstart questions

Stephen P. Schaefer sschaefer at acm.org
Sat Feb 15 23:11:39 EST 2003

Here's the answer to 2)

In the root directory of the boot floppy there is a file name
syslinux.cfg.  Replace its contents with this:

default linux
prompt 0
label linux
~  kernel vmlinuz
~  append ks=floppy initrd=initrd.img

I was just playing with this friday, automating a network install with

default linux
prompt 0
label linux
~  kernel vmlimuz
~  append ks=nfs:blarg.redhat.com:/usr/new-machine/kickstart/ks.cfg
initrd=initrd.img

This was an important solution for me: I'm in an environment with a
Microsoft DHCP server, which does not support the recommendation from
the kickstart manual to configure the ISC DHCP server with:

filename /"/usr/new-machine/kickstart/"/;
next-server /blarg.redhat.com;/

~    - Stephen

Chris Knowles wrote:

|Kickstart is really cool.
|
|1) From the redhat docs on
|kickstart:http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-8.0-Manual/custom-guide
|

|You can also specify which packages not to install from the default
|package list:
|
|@ Games and Entertainment
|-kdegames