[TriLUG] kickstart questions

Jason Tower jason at cerient.net
Sat Feb 15 23:49:15 EST 2003

thanks chris, you ain't on the SC for nothing!

ok now mr. smarty-pants, riddle me this:

i have a motherboard (MSI-6368) with onboard trident blade video.  if i try to
install rh72 via nfs, it works beautifully.  if i try to install by booting
the CD the installer fails to start X.  in both cases the video is detected
properly, but the nfs method works while the CD method fails (it tries
several times to start X using different servers before giving up and
switching to text).  not a show-stopper but curious nonetheless.

and yes, kickstart is way cool (especially in conjunction with nfs), if poorly
documented.  the redhat docs don't always jive with their sample config which
doesn't match up exactly with my redhat press sysadmin book which is out of
sync with several examples i've seen on the web which only sort of match my
actual working ks.cfg.  but when it works it kicks big ol' booty.

jason