[TriLUG] kickstart questions

Stephen P. Schaefer sschaefer at acm.org
Sun Feb 16 00:28:31 EST 2003

You probably have already figured this out, but those tildes (~) don't
belong in the file.  They're just an artifact of the silly mozilla rich
test to plain text translation.  I just wish it would let me compose in
plain text.  Anyone know how to configure that?  I'm in Mozilla 1.0.1,
but I'm willing to update if enigmail still works.

~    - Stephen

Jason Tower wrote:

|thanks for the pointer
|
|On Saturday 15 February 2003 23:11, Stephen P. Schaefer wrote:

|>Here's the answer to 2)
|>
|>In the root directory of the boot floppy there is a file name
|>syslinux.cfg.  Replace its contents with this:
|>
|>default linux
|>prompt 0
|>label linux
|>~  kernel vmlinuz
|>~  append ks=floppy initrd=initrd.img
|>
|>I was just playing with this friday, automating a network install with
|>
|>default linux
|>prompt 0
|>label linux
|>~  kernel vmlimuz
|>~  append ks=nfs:blarg.redhat.com:/usr/new-machine/kickstart/ks.cfg
|>initrd=initrd.img
|>
|>This was an important solution for me: I'm in an environment with a
|>Microsoft DHCP server, which does not support the recommendation from
|>the kickstart manual to configure the ISC DHCP server with:
|>
|>filename /"/usr/new-machine/kickstart/"/;
|>next-server /blarg.redhat.com;/
|>
|>~    - Stephen
|>
|>Chris Knowles wrote:
|>|Kickstart is really cool.
|>|
|>|1) From the redhat docs on
|>|kickstart:http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-8.0-Manual/custom-g
|>|uide
|>|
|>|
|>|You can also specify which packages not to install from the default
|>|package list:
|>|
|>|@ Games and Entertainment
|>|-kdegames
|>|
|>|2) If you look on the boot diskette, there is a text file "syslinx.cfg"
|>|In that file, there are lines that start with append for each of the
|>|boot options.  Add ks=floppy to the line that is appropriate for you.
|>|
|>|HTH,
|>|CJK
|>|