[TriLUG] Corrupt Redhat 8.1 disks

Jeff Jackowski jeffj1 at hiwaay.net
Thu Feb 20 13:12:00 EST 2003

On Thu, 20 Feb 2003, Jeff Jackowski wrote:

>>From what I can tell, the driver disks to go along with the boot floppy to
>the Redhat 8.1 beta are corrupt. It seems the installer wants to find a
>DOS-y filesystem on them and they don't have one. Does anyone else see the
>same problem?

This looks almost like I'm resonding to myself, but I'm not getting
getting other list traffic.

>There is no such thing as Red Hat Linux 8.1.  I think you're possibly
>referring to the "Phoebe" beta, of which the latest version is 8.0.94 ?

That's what I ment. I just figiure that if it is a beta of 8.0.94, then
the final release will be 8.0.94, and I'm not expecting that. Maybe I'm
being silly, maybe they'll surprise me, but its definately a moot point.

>I just tested the boot floppy and network driver diskette process in
>Phoebe 3; it worked fine for me.  Indeed the floppies use an ext2
>filesystem which is what the installer expects.

The copy of the image on my server does mount correctly with the loopback
device, so I'm going to have to try again. I did refresh it several times,
so maybe there was a bad image to start with.

>Did you verify that the floppies are good?  (make sure "dd" told you
>"2880+0 records out" when you made them, or to be completely certain, dd
>the floppies *back* to a file and md5sum them).

dd seemed to think it wrote the disk correctly, but I'll have to do that
second check. I've been having a lot of problems with both floppies and
CDs during this upgrade, so I'm glad I didn't try using the CDs. Yet for
another other task, I don't have these problems. I don't understand.

>Also check the alt-F3 (F4?) error console for information that might be
>useful.

That is where I remember the installer searching for FAT, but maybe I
should have been sleeping. I don't know. I did see it fail to mount two
disks, though.

--
Jeff Jackowski
        http://ro.com/~jeffj/