[TriLUG] imap question -- folder deletion

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Mon Feb 24 10:07:53 EST 2003

On Mon, 2003-02-24 at 10:04, H Brett Bolen wrote:
> I'm using mozilla 1.2 to read my trilug mail.  I've created a folder,
> and now I want to get rid of it.
>
> Mozilla won't let me do it ( 'Trash Already Exists'), so
> i sshed into trilug, and deleted the folder with pine.  Pine
> no longer sees the old folder.
>
> Mozilla still sees it.
>
> I deleted the account with mozilla, and re added it.  Mozilla still
> sees the old folder.
>
> I deleted the account again, and then went into the mozilla
> file structure and found there were still old filenames
> with the bad folder's name in it:
>
>    file:       MythTV.msf ( imap folder name MythTV )
>
>    directory : ~/mozilla-brettb/brettb/gmzfbpjq.slt/ImapMail/trilug.org
>
> After deleting the account, I got rid of the trilug.org directory,
> and then re added the trilug.org imap account.  guess what?
> Mozill still sees the old folder.
>
> Pine doesn't see the folder.
>
> I cannot find 'mythtv' anywhere else in mozilla filenames for files.

Brett,

I checked on the TriLUG mail server and you do still have a folder
called "MythTV" (not mythtv; remember Unix filenames are case
sensitive).  I can tell from the size (2048 bytes) that it's probably
empty, but it's still there.  I don't know why pine doesn't see it.

More importantly, your subscription list
(/var/spool/imap/brettb/.mailboxlist) shows that you're still subscribed
to the folder.  I suspect that mozilla is reading the subscription list,
and re-creating that folder when it doesn't exist.

Try removing the entry from the subscription list (right click on an
IMAP folder, choose "subscribe" to get to the subscriptions dialog).
That should get it out of your hair.  Then you can remove the file
manually with the shell to the mail server, or just not worry about it.

--Jeremy