[TriLUG] redhat-config-network question

Chris Hedemark chrish at trilug.org
Wed Feb 26 12:40:02 EST 2003

On Wednesday, February 26, 2003, at 10:33 AM, Lisa Lorenzin wrote:

> i have a laptop with redhat 7.3 on it - i did a straight laptop
> install,
> and the only unusual choice i made was to install kde and not install
> gnome.

I think that may be your problem right there.
<rant>
This is another one of those times that the @redhat.com subscribers are
likely to get PO'd at me, but IMHO this is one of the most broken parts
of Red Hat's distribution.

Lemme go on the record first and say that I use Red Hat a lot, I'm not
a freeloader that is whining and moaning, I am a paying enterprise
customer that is whining and moaning.  ;-)

Anyway, what I think is "broken" about Red Hat is their increasing
dependence on Gnome for basic system management tools, and pushing
people into using Gnome.  I really don't like gnome.  And with every
new Red Hat release I like it less and less.  I prefer KDE.  And not an
adulterated KDE that has been spliced profusely with Gnome DNA.  It
really bothers me how much space on my HDD I need to waste on
installing Gnome (multiplied by about 25+ machines) just to make sure I
don't end up in the RPM hell that you're in just so I can run basic
admin tools.

I'm having a bit of a love/hate relationship with the distro right now.
  Like I said, I am an enterprise customer so I do make use of the RHN
web tools to manage installing errata on groups of servers all at once.
  This is a very useful tool to me, and one of the main reasons I
continue to endorse the use of Red Hat at the office.  On the flip
side, it seems the useful parts of the distro aren't covered under the
support contracts so my bug reports end up in bugzilla limbo never to
be fixed.  They've had a bug on the records for several releases now
regarding the b0rkedness of autofs trying to pull its maps from LDAP,
the maintainer (nalin) doesn't seem to have the time to even look at
it, and my account rep doesn't seem very enthused about doing anything
about it either.

In all honesty, if I had the time I would mangle my own up2date-like
system based on what's out there now plus customizations, forget about
support all together, change distros, and if I really needed something
fixed I'd pay per incident to whomever was appropriate for the specific
issue.  Red Hat has a lot going for it but their support is very slack
and their insistence on using Gnome for core system tools really drives
me up the wall.
</rant>

Chris Hedemark
PGP/GnuPG Public Key at http://yonderway.com/chris/hedemark.gpg