[TriLUG] redhat-config-network question

Tanner Lovelace lovelace at wayfarer.org
Wed Feb 26 13:17:05 EST 2003

On Wed, 2003-02-26 at 11:13, Kevin Sonney wrote:

> While a lot of people are going to chant "use apt-rpm! use apt-rpm!"
> because, well, it's the cool tool of the month,

Cheap shot, Kevin.  Apt-rpm is *not* a fad.  It works and works well
and people have figured that out and started using it.  The best
Redhat can do now is to just get out of the way.  Sure, they've
got up2date, but to me, that looks an awful lot like Windows Update,
and anyone who read this morning's slashdot can probably see that
putting your faith completely in the "benevolence" of big companies
isn't really that good of an idea.

> I'm going to go the
> other way - rhn_register and up2date are your friends. use rhn_register
> to register with RHN (it's free!)

Free?  What about all the valuble marketing data that Redhat collects
from the people who register with RHN?  You may say that Redhat won't
do anything with that data, but anyone who actually believes that
is either a) incredibly naive or b) not thinking long term enough.
Data collected by a company never dies and what happens if Redhat
gets bought by someone (it *could* happen, sometime) and the new
company decides to use that data.  I'd much rather use something
like apt4rpm or even up2date with a Current server and not give
redhat my information.

> and then "up2date -i"
> redhat-config-network - up2date will resolve your dependencies, and
> install what's needed to make it run. Plus you can "up2date -u" to get
> all the latest errata for 7.3, with their proper depends resolved.

apt4rpm will resolve all the dependencies too.  And you can even do
"apt-get update && apt-get upgrade" to get all the latest errata too.
You don't have to be locked into what redhat provides.

Kevin, I'm not picking on you, so please don't think that, but I have
to wonder about why redhat (and mandrake too, for that matter) had
to go off and write their own tool to resolve dependencies.  Now
we have 3 different tools that all do the same thing and people get
confused about which one they should use.  If everyone had gotten
together and worked on the same thing, that tool could have been
extrememly kick ass by now.  Instead, we've got fragmentation all
over the place.  Users are not going to stand for this, any more
than they stood for Unix fragmentation.  Sooner or later, something
has to give, and depending on redhat's supposed "dominance" of the
market isn't really that good of an idea.

Tanner
--
Tanner Lovelace | lovelace(at)wayfarer.org | http://wtl.wayfarer.org/