[TriLUG] redhat-config-network question

Tanner Lovelace lovelace at wayfarer.org
Wed Feb 26 14:22:07 EST 2003

On Wed, 2003-02-26 at 14:14, Chris Hedemark wrote:

> Tanner, I agreed with everything you said up to this point:
>
> On Wednesday, February 26, 2003, at 01:17 PM, Tanner Lovelace wrote:
>
> > Kevin, I'm not picking on you, so please don't think that, but I have
> > to wonder about why redhat (and mandrake too, for that matter) had
> > to go off and write their own tool to resolve dependencies.
>
> Why do we have KDE and Gnome?  Why not just one good desktop?
>
> Choice is a good thing.  Red Hat users have at least two good choices.
> apt-rpm is probably better for some environments, up2date/rhn for
> others.

Okay, good point.  I guess I just get a little bothered by the "not
invented here, so it *must* be crap" attitude that I see in certain
places (including both redhat and mandrake at times, along with
many other places too).

> For example, with up2date/rhn I can set up groupings of servers inside
> of a web interface, and apply errata or install new packages on entire
> groups of servers at once (and even schedule the updates to happen at
> night if I want).  apt-rpm doesn't provide a good way to do this, and
> rhn is actually pretty good at this.

Hmm... I was not aware of that functionality.  Ok, so that's pretty
cool.  But there's nothing saying that someone can't write a front
end to any other package manager to do the same thing...  :-)

> But rhn/up2date are redhat specific.  I can't manage my Solaris boxen,
> Mandrake, OpenBSD, etc.  Even though the client might be GPL'ed, the
> tool itself is in effect proprietary in that it does me no good
> whatsoever on any other flavor of Linux let alone other UNIX OS's.  Of
> course that would threaten RH's business model so I don't expect that
> they will ever fix that (and I don't blame them for doing it that way
> to be honest).  I think ultimately the community needs to solve this
> problem.

Yep.  I've been thinking about what it would take to put together a
distribution that's run by a community, similar to Debian, but is
based on RPM instead of .debs.  Unfortunately, that space is quite
crowded with for-profit companies, so I think it would be hard to
get off the ground.  I think the Mandrake Club, however, comes the
closest to what I've envisioned.

Tanner
--
Tanner Lovelace | lovelace(at)wayfarer.org | http://wtl.wayfarer.org/