[TriLUG] Red Hat kernel challenge

Jeremy Katz katzj at linuxpower.org
Wed Feb 26 18:11:39 EST 2003

On Wed, 2003-02-26 at 17:21, Matt Matthews wrote:
> NVIDIA does have a kernel package designed for use with the previous two Red
> Hat kernels, 2.4.18-14 and 2.4.18-18.8.0. However, the SRPMs for these two
> kernels REFUSE to rebuild on a Red Hat 8.0.94 system, as far as I can tell.
> They both bomb out late in the process with:
> Processing files: kernel-debuginfo-2.4.18-14
> error: Could not open %files file /usr/src/redhat/BUILD/kernel-2.4.18/debugfiles.list: No such file or directory

Add --define "debug_package %{nil}" to your rpmbuild command line (or
change the spec file to have "%define debug_package %{nil}" or add that
to your ~/.rpmmacros)

> Given that these are standard Red Hat kernel SRPMs, I was very surprised to
> find that neither would build on the newer system.

There have been some features added to the RPM build process that don't
get along with the kernel (basically, packages are built with -g and
then debugging information is stripped out and put into a separate
package.  This is *really* handy for debugging those crashes that
someone else can see all the time but you can't reproduce -- tell them
to get the -debuginfo package and you get a backtrace from gdb with full
symbols.  Woo-frickin-hoo! :)

Cheers,

Jeremy