[TriLUG] Red Hat kernel challenge

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Wed Feb 26 23:03:11 EST 2003

On Wed, 26 Feb 2003, Matt Matthews wrote:

> That's Red Hat's mistake, as far as I'm concerned. I would like to see
> signs that Red Hat is working actively with hardware vendors to ensure
> that a new release of their system doesn't mean there will be a lag as
> hardware vendors scramble to catch up.

While I have no idea whether Red Hat works with nVidia or not (I doubt
it), I should point out that 8.0.94 ("Phoebe 3") is not a "new release"
but a beta for the next release.  You shouldn't really expect nVidia to
provide support for beta editions, and indeed they've clearly said they
won't.  There's no reason to expect that non-support on the beta means
that nVidia won't quickly release packages for Red Hat Linux 8.1 (?) when
it's released.

--Jeremy