[TriLUG] redhat-config-network question

Brent Fox bfox at linuxheadquarters.com
Thu Feb 27 10:36:28 EST 2003

On Wed, 2003-02-26 at 12:40, Chris Hedemark wrote:
> Anyway, what I think is "broken" about Red Hat is their increasing
> dependence on Gnome for basic system management tools, and pushing
> people into using Gnome.  I really don't like gnome.

Actually, there is very little dependence on Gnome.  With GTK2, most of
the useful widgets were moved out of the Gnome libs and into GTK
itself.  Most of the config tools require only python2 and pygtk2.
There is one tool I can think of (redhat-config-date) that has a
dependency on gnome-python2-canvas in order to draw the map.  I don't
think that will pull in all of Gnome, however.

> And with every
> new Red Hat release I like it less and less.  I prefer KDE.  And not an
> adulterated KDE that has been spliced profusely with Gnome DNA.

This is only my opinion and I don't mean to flame anyone, but it seems
to me that to argue against unifying the look of Gnome and KDE is to
argue against the concept of consistency.  Consistency is a good thing.
We had to make some changes to achieve that consistency, but that is not
adulteration.

In all honesty, we made just as many changes (if not, more) to Gnome for
8.0 as we did to KDE.  We get bashed for not giving KDE enough
attention, then we get bashed for making too many improvements.

Some things should be the same in both Gnome and KDE.  I think time will
show that this is the right strategy.  The work that both KDE and Gnome
developers are doing on freedesktop.org will help make this happen.
Window manager hints should be the same...fonts should be rendered the
same way...startup notification should work the same way.  It only makes
sense.

Cheers,
   Brent