[TriLUG] OT - survey needs people, pays $100

Tanner Lovelace lovelace at wayfarer.org
Thu Feb 27 14:32:14 EST 2003

You thought it would be a good opportunity to earn a little extra
income, even though they require that you *must* earn at least 100K
already.  Good grief.  The people who need a little extra income
don't earn nearly that much.  No, at least the way you presented it,
it comes across as just a slick way for people to market their product
to people that would have the money to buy it.  And that, in my book,
is spam, which doesn't belong on this list, especially since I still
have yet to see what this has to do with Linux.

Tanner

On Thu, 2003-02-27 at 14:25, Jason Tower wrote:
> it's not a scam at all, just a product development study by a local company
> that needs (and is willing to pay) volunteers with technical
> backgrounds/interests for their time and expertise, criteria that many trilug
> mailing list subscribers meet.  i did a three hour website usability study
> for them a couple of weeks ago and was paid $150 for my time.  considering
> the state of the local economy i thought the opportunity to earn a little
> extra income would be appreciated by some of the other list subscribers.  as
> someone else on the list recently pointed out, if you don't like it use the
> delete button.  after all, i did mark it "OT" in the subject line.
>
> jason
>
> On Thursday 27 February 2003 13:58, Tanner Lovelace wrote:
> > On Thu, 2003-02-27 at 10:58, Jason Tower wrote:
> > > i'm participating in a market research study that needs a few more
> > > people. the study takes about two hours and pays $100 for your time.  if
> > > you are interested and meet ***all*** of the requirements below contact
> > > me offline and i'll hook you up with the organizer:
> > >
> > > 1. Combined household income greater than 100K (if you meet all other
> > > requirements min. is 75K)
> > > 2. REGULARLY USES A BLACKBERRY PAGER
> > > 3. MUST be someone that is interested in new technology and will purchase
> > > a new technology before everyone has it.
> > > 4. MUST have some interest in a converged phone/PDA device.
> > > 5. MUST own and use a cell phone for personal or business use.
> > > 6. Between the AGES OF 30-5O.
> >
> > Sounds like a good scam, especially #3.
> >
> > Personally, I'd prefer not to see things like this on the trilug
> > list, so please don't post something like this again (I say this
> > as a normal list subscriber, not as a member of the SC).
> >
> > Tanner

> TriLUG Organizational FAQ:
Tanner Lovelace | lovelace(at)wayfarer.org | http://wtl.wayfarer.org/
GPG Fingerprint = A66C 8660 924F 5F8C 71DA  BDD0 CE09 4F8E DE76 39D4
GPG Key can be found at http://wtl.wayfarer.org/lovelace.gpg.asc
 Those who are willing to sacrifice essential liberties for a little
 order, will lose both and deserve neither.  --  Benjamin Franklin

 History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times
 of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to
 endure.  --  Justice Thurgood Marshall, 1989