Off-Topic? Re: [TriLUG] redhat-config-network question

Sinner from the Prairy sinner at escomposlinux.org
Sat Mar 1 10:49:29 EST 2003

On Thursday 27 February 2003 12:0412pm, Chris Hedemark wrote:
> On Thursday, February 27, 2003, at 11:53 AM, Sinner from the Prairy
> wrote:
> > But, nevertheless, what has all this to do with
> > redhat-config-network ?

> What it has to do with is the overall issue of RH pushing people into
> Gnome when they don't want to be there.  That was Lisa's original
> problem, was it not?

Lisa's problem was that she was unaware (and maybe the docs are not to
explicit in this point) that RedHat's config tools are developed with
the GTK toolkit... so they need Gnome rpms.

The selection of GTK toolkit was a choice of the guys who develop
RedHat. I guess that Brent and Jeremy have already clarified those
points enough.

Now, if you use KDE on RedHat (or on Mandrake, a KDE-centric
distribution) and you want to install the config tools, you'll find
that RedHat (and Mandrake) developers have choosen GTK tookit and libs
to develop those tools.

Surprise!

So, can this things be changed with a couple of frenzy week-end hacking
exercise? Probaly not.

What you can do, then? You have 2 options:

1.- You get enough space to install those config tools and required
libs, side-by-side with your KDE

2.- You do not install those tools because [lack of space | kde purity
karma] and you have to learn to live without them. After all, vi and
nano are very lightweight editors.

What is everybody doing, instead? (my perception)

They take a legitimate concern by Lisa about limited disk space + kde
usage + where-are-the-config-tools.... and start what I've seen as a
sometimes bitter kde vs gnome dialectic war / trying to pontificate
about angel's sex.

This is why I support this point:

> > Should we create a trilug-bizantium at trilug.org for all this? I'm
> > kinda not enjoying all this pointless discussions.

> You may find it pointless, but I'm actually finding it good to hear
> the points of view that may have contributed to the direction that
> RH's distro is going in.  I may not agree, but it is informative
> nonetheless.

And discussing why french[*] fries / freedom fries taste better with
cayenne pepper could be very interesting as well. But very off-topic in
the original question  *and* a very "hot" discussion.

> And, of course, there is always the delete key.  Or you can just
> ignore this whole thread.  Freedom of choice is a beautiful thing,
> Josep.  :)

I know. But you have to use your freedom wisely, as freedom is not free,
and your actions might trample others freedom.

[*] French Fries are originaly from Belgium, the classic "Pommes frittes
avec mayo".

Salut,
Sinner
- --
http://www.ibiblio.org/sinner/     Linux User # 89976
Testing Mandrake 9.0 -    Linux Machine # 38068