[TriLUG] installing an modem

Wayne Unruh waynepunruh at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 1 21:23:38 EST 2003

Hi all,

My Name is Wayne Unruh and I attended the installfest today and y'all were
very helpfull. I was wondering if I could get some more help from y'all.  I
was able to get to the internet at the installfest through a network card
that Ryan gave to me but I have no network at home and my only way to the
internet is through a modem (3com U.S. Robotic 56K PCI model 5610).  I
searched my hardware and the modem is not being recognized by redhat v 8.0.

on my past installation RedHat v 6.1 I think that I linked /dev/ttyS1 to
/dev/modem or something. I also had to use the comand setserial as follows
(seserial /dev/ttyS1 irq 9 port 0xc800 autoconfig) or nothing would work.

I have done some searching from my wifes computer at work and U.S. Robitics
has a rpm fil (LINUX_3comMdm-1.0-1.i386.rpm) that is on thier web page, is
that any help to me?

How do I find out which /dev/ttyS? is used for the modem if the modem is
installed in slot PCI4?

Thanks for any responses.

Wayne Unruh
newbie