[TriLUG] lilo menu config - just curious

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Wed Mar 5 21:43:10 EST 2003

On Wed, 2003-03-05 at 21:17, Raymond McGill wrote:
> OK, I just changed my lilo.conf file and had to run the lilo command. I
> understand changing the config file, but what does running the "lilo"
> command do?

Because of the way lilo works, it can't read the configuration file on
the normal filesystem.  So its configuration effectively is "hard-coded"
into the boot record and boot sector(s); running "lilo" re-installs your
configuration into these areas.  If you don't re-run the lilo command,
the actual boot-sector code of LILO won't have any knowledge of the new
configuration.

What distribution and version are you using?  Most (all?) Linux
distributions have migrated to grub instead of lilo; grub doesn't
require this re-installation every time you change the config.  I'd
suggest learning about and switching to grub, as lilo is quickly
becoming outdated/depracated.

--Jeremy