[TriLUG] smbmount error

Turnpike Man turnpike420 at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 8 10:48:12 EST 2003

--- Justin Johnson <justin at deepbluesoftware.com> wrote:
> Hey ya'll,
>
> I'm trying to connect to a share on my Windows box using smbmount, and I
> am getting the following error:
> "smbmnt must be installed suid root for direct user mounts (500,500)"

If I recall (somebody back me up here) you have to have the smbclient
installed, AND you have to make your mount as root.

> I assume this means there is some sort of permissions problem, but I'm
> not sure how [best way] to fix it. Any insight would be appreciated.
>
> the command I executed was:
>   $ smbmount //swordfish/dataraid /home/justin/work -o
> ip=[the_ip_address]
>
> Running RHL8.0 kernel 2.4.28.24-8
> --

I've done it with this command as root and /data/test must be available to
mount to:

mount -t smbfs -o username=me,password=foo //odin/documents /data/test

What I haven't figured out is why does it have to be done as root and why can't
I get my regular users access to it!

David