[TriLUG] smbmount error

Roy Vestal rvestal at trilug.org
Mon Mar 10 10:52:49 EST 2003

/etc/fstab is your filesystem mount table. Here's my listing for my 4 samba
loads:

//server/share      /path/to/mount/point  smbfs
credentials=/home/username/sambacreds,uid=username,gid=username,fmask=775,dm
ask=775 0 0

the key is the credentials line. Instead of having to put -o username= and
password= in your /etc/fstab (which EVERYONE can see) you can assign it to a
file that you can lock down. I have the file chmod 611 on my home share with
myself as uid and gid. The uid and gid are entirely up to you. You can do
user instead to allow the creds to pass as the user, but since i'm the only
one on this box, I force my uid and gid. fmask is the file mask and the
dmask is the directory mask.

HTH