[TriLUG] XML and DOM

Mike M linux-support at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 10 10:08:50 EST 2003

On Monday 10 March 2003 13:59, Ilan Volow wrote:

> It would help if you mentioned which language. Myself, I'm rather
> partial to using XML and DOM with Python.

I like and use Python.  I think I can use Python for a configurator tool that
I describe below.

On Monday 10 March 2003 10:09, Joseph Tate wrote:
> I am but via PHP.  I've also done it in Perl.  Which language are you
> looking at using?

I really should learn PERL.  I bought "Learning PERL".  The book remains in
very good shape.

On Monday 10 March 2003 10:15, Ed Hill wrote:

> I'm using XML and SAX as implemented by Xerces-C++ and libxml++.  Are
> your questions DOM-specific?

I have a large application that is written in C++.

My questions are above the implementation level - more at the design level.
I've got two possible XML uses and I'd like to get some feedback from you
folks that have used it.

1) Configuration.  I've got a draconian mess that needs to be hidden from the
normal user.  I want to make a configurator that queries the user and outputs
an XML file.  The XML configuration file is then accessed by the application
during startup and operation.

2) Interpretation.  I need to create an interpreter between a complex
protocol (where much of the complexity is unneeded) to a simple protocol.
The complex side is established and institutionalized.  The simple side is
being designed from scratch and is TCP/IP sockets-based.  Both sides
structure information formally.  I am thinking that the simple side message
format should be implemented in XML. The application receives a simple side
message and converts it to a complex side message, and vice-versa.

Is XML a good technology for what I describe above?  More detail available
upon request.

Comments and questions are much appreciated.
--
Mike M.