[TriLUG] Debian vs Mandrake vs Redhat vs . . .

Jason Tower jason at cerient.net
Mon Mar 10 19:52:00 EST 2003

> This server is going to do way too
> many things (I generally like to keep my internal and external services
> separate), but I only have one and won't be able to segment just yet.

i would *strongly* suggest getting an old pentium 100 to handle the
firewall/vpn duties (i'm assuming that's what you need when you mention
iptables and freeswan).  it's not that a single machine isn't capable of
doing everything you mention, but configuration and troubleshooting become
much more difficult, and it's harder to keep network security and server
security seperate.

something like smoothwall or openbsd on a old stripped down box make excellent
firewall boxes, and since you can use "obsolete" hardware the cost is
virtually nil (i'll sell you a suitable box for $50 if it will help).  once
you do that, your choice of distros for the main server becomes more
flexible.  redhat, suse, mandrake, debian: they all have their pros and cons,
everyone has a favorite, and all are capable of doing what you want.  take
your pick, if you get into trouble that's what the list is for.  good luck!

jason