[TriLUG] Debian vs Mandrake vs Redhat vs . . .

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Mon Mar 10 21:28:17 EST 2003

On Mon, 2003-03-10 at 21:07, Jerry M. Howell II wrote:

> Xandros is VERY easy to install and easy to use. Only thing is it's not
> free. The full version is about $99 but it also comes with Crossover.
> Not sure I'd run it on a server but you only have to answer about 2
> or 3 questions upon install and has a gui for apt-get.

I'm really not trying to beat a dead horse here, but I should point out
that synaptic, a GUI front-end for apt-get, runs nicely with apt for rpm
on Red Hat Linux.  It even uses the nifty userhelper stuff to pop up a
root password dialog, just like the native redhat-config-* tools.  The
title bar does still say "synaptic for Debian" though which is
confusing. :-)  Synaptic uses Gnome libraries and has a lot of neat
options.

For those who already have apt for RPM installed, give it a try
("apt-get install synaptic") and see if you think it beats
redhat-config-packages or not ;-)

--Jeremy, with kudos to the Connectiva folks who port apt and synaptic
to RPM from the Debian versions.