[TriLUG] Spamassassin question - Bayesian filtering

Corey Mutter mutterc at nc.rr.com
Thu Mar 13 15:12:18 EST 2003

If anyone is interested, I recently got SpamAssassin working on my
fetchmail-based setup (I have periodic runs of fetchmail dropping mail
from the outside into local accounts on my machine).

In /etc/fetchmail-rc, I added the following lines:

defaults
        mda '/usr/bin/spamassassin -P -a | /usr/sbin/sendmail -oem -i -f %F %T'

This runs SA (so the headers get attached) on all mail that comes in from
the outside. (This way, locally-originated email such as Tripwire and
logcheck reports don't need to get run through SpamAssassin).

Then I set up root's .spamassassin/user_prefs to set the SpamAssassin
options.

Now all incoming email gets tagged (I have SA whitelists for TriLUG,
family, etc.) Procmail filters on X-Spam-Level (>10 gets auto-plonked,
>5 gets dropped into a junkbox for human processing, >3 to an old address
gets dropped there as well), and Bob's my uncle!

Corey

On Thu, Mar 13, 2003 at 10:45:27AM -0800, Turnpike Man wrote:
> Jeremy,
>
> I'd love to get some hands on just getting started with Spamassassin!!  I've
> been running sendmail for over a year now at home for my xyz.net domain and I
> don't really use it for anything on a daily basis, hardly even close friends
> b/c I don't wanna have tons of spam... which is inevitible once you start using
> a certain email address.  I setup my roommate with an email account, he uses it
> often, but I don't use it yet. (thus still my yahoo account)  Not being an
> expert in RTFM (I learn better by show and tell)... where does one get a start!
>  I'd like to be able to use sendmail in production at my place of work one day
> too, and without something like Spamassassin, that would be hard, we get so
> much junk on our generic accounts like info, webmaster, recruiter, etc.  I'll
> be at the meeting tonite, hopefully to formalize my membership into TriLUG.
> See ya there.
>
> David

[snip]