[TriLUG] Somewhat OT: [Fwd: FC: Email a RoadRunner address, get scanned by their security system]

bp bpevans at bellsouth.net
Fri Mar 14 17:06:08 EST 2003

Here's my opinion;  however lame the group might think it is:

*Opinion* More ISPs should do this.  Especially if you consider the
alternative of just closing inbound tcp/25 traffic.

*Reasoning*  If you put service on a network then I feel that it's your
responsibility to secure that service.  If someone scans or probes it
then big deal.  If you feel strongly against allowing anyone to
probe/scan then you have ways within your means of firewalling that
service so only known hosts/ip ranges/etc can connect.
(iptables\ipchains\routers)

-Barry

lfwelty wrote:

> Can anyone local comment?
>
> Don't get yourself in trouble w/ ...
> Just interested in a local perspective.
>
> [disclaimer: I assume all posts are personal opinions unless
>  explicitly stated otherwise. Do not assume everyone else will
>  take this position.]

<snip/>