[TriLUG] Group together for trip to USENIX ?

Scott G. Hall ScottGHall at BellSouth.Net
Tue Mar 18 16:30:46 EST 2003

On 18 Mar 2003 10:36:55 -0500, Tanner Lovelace wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-03-18 at 06:37, Scott G. Hall wrote:
> >  And besides, this year the conference is having parties
> > at Six Flags Over Texas.
>
> and also...
>
> >     2003 USENIX Technical Conference
> >     San Antonio, Texas, Marriott Rivercenter
>
> Umm... last I checked, Six Flags over Texas was in Dallas, not
> San Antonio.  There's also Six Flags/Astroworld, but that's in
> Houston (again, not San Antonio).  So, are they provided transportation
> to these parties (it's probably 2 hours either way)?

I have the conference brochure right in front of me:

    "Don't miss Six Flags Fiesta Texas"  - back cover
    "3 Receptions, Party at Six Flags over Texas"  - front cover
on page 23:
    "Six Flags Fiesta Texas, Saturday, June 14, 3:45-9:30 pm"
    "When the technical program ends on Saturday afternoon, get
     ready to play for the rest of the day!  Board a shuttle bus
     with your friends to fun-filled Six Flags Fiesta Texas, a
     200-acre family theme park with over 60 rides and attractions."
    [ it goes on about several coasters, the water park w/wave pool,
      gentler children's rides, haunted mansion, etc]
    "Your registration fee covers one admission ticket and a voucher
     good at six casual restaurants in the park.  Additional tickets
     may be purchased onsite at a special discounted price."

When I went last time, the water & coaster park was just outside of
town, not too far from Red Roof Inn I stayed, though it was not owned
by Six Flags at that time and had a different name (it might have been
a Paramount park I think, Kings something-or-other).

It took me about 30 minutes from downtown to get to the park last time.

--
Scott G. Hall,
Raleigh, NC, USA