[TriLUG] Question - Linux Server CPR

Scott Chilcote scottchilcote at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 19 09:55:49 EST 2003

Hi Folks,

I had someone call me yesterday who had a seriously ill Linux server.

He said that the machine seemed heavily overloaded and was running very
slowly.  It would respond to its keyboard at the console, but only at
the rate of one keystroke every five to ten minutes.  Attempts to reach
it with ssh from another system were timing out with "connection reset
by peer".  control-alt-delete wasn't having any affect (the command may
have been removed for security).

He wound up hitting the reset button, and now has hard disk errors that
e3fsck can't handle.  Quite a mess.  It's possible that he could have
logged in and issued commands (if he'd kept at it all night), but the
slowdown appeared to be worsening.

What he hoped I could tell him was whether there was any way to get the
kernel's attention under these circumstances.  The problem might have
been fixed by deleting an oversize /tmp file or killing some processes,
if there was a way to get in.  I don't know of any.

Is there a better way to handle this problem, other than "Don't let it
happen to begin with"?

Thanks,

Scott C.