[TriLUG] file size limit

Douglas Kojetin djkojeti at unity.ncsu.edu
Fri Mar 21 11:22:32 EST 2003

Hi All-

I have a friend who is running RedHat 8.0 and trying to write a file
that is > 2GB in size, but when the filesize reaches 2147483647 it spits
out an error about file size exceeding limits. This happens whether he
uses perl (to write out a huge file) or an executable (i think C based).

I've seen this documented online, and people refer to having Large File
Support (LFS), and that it is supposed to be 'default' in RH 8.0.

1. Can anyone confirm this?
2. Anyone know a workaround otherwise?
3. Could this be a problem arising from the compiled executable not
having this support?

Thanks,
Doug