[TriLUG] Red Hat 9.0 ?!?!

Brent Verner brent at rcfile.org
Fri Mar 21 17:46:11 EST 2003

[2003-03-21 12:09] Ken Wahl said:
| On Fri, Mar 21, 2003 at 08:00:56AM -0800, Turnpike Man wrote:
| > Just released to me from an inside Dell source... Red Hat will be skipping 8.,
| > 8.2, etc. and going straight to 9.0, code named gingin!??!  *scratching head*
| > Anyone from Red Hat wanna chime in?  Apparently the final release has already
| > been sent to hardware vendors (such as Dell).  What changes could have been
| > made to warrent a major release?  Curious minds want to know!
| >
| > David M.
|
| Hey, April fools is still 11 days away!
|
| I hope this is an April Fools joke.  Two x.0 releases back to back.

This is probably less of a joke than you realise.  With Redhat's
recent (and smart!) business direction, I predict they will only
be releasing .0 and .1 versions as $free "Redhat Linux," and the
fully debugged, stable version will be sold as "Redhat Enterprise
Linux".

My big question is this:
  What options do customers running 7.2 and 7.3 have WRT ongoing
security/errata package updates?  I have a number of servers
on these versions that would cost _way_ too much to upgrade
right now.  Perhaps redhat should extend their "Enterprise"
(for the same price as Enterprise AS) for select stable versions
of past releases.

to share his music with anyone is a beautiful thing."  -- Duane Allman