[TriLUG] [OT] Win2k boot problem

Ben Pitzer uncleben at mindspring.com
Sun Mar 23 00:55:20 EST 2003

Ken,

Where is the partition on the disk?  Windows likes to be up front on the
disk, I know.  Also, did you have that Win2k install on FAT32 on your old
disk?  Typically, Win2k uses NTFS partitions, so you likely should have done
the copy to an NTFS partition.  Finally, make sure your grub config is
pointing to the correct partition for the Win2k install, and not where it
lived on the old disk.  If the partition names changed (for example, due to
some partitioning fun, you had the old disk sliced up as /dev/hda1 (Linux),
/dev/hda2 (Linux swap), and /dev/hda3 (win2k) and now it's /dev/hda1 (linux)
and /dev/hda2 (win2k) with /dev/hda3 as swap) that could be part of your
issue.  Also, make sure the new Win2k partition is bootable.

I've only done one dual boot install before, so everyone please chip in to
say where I've either messed up or missed something.

Regards,
Ben Pitzer

"Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary
safety
 deserve neither liberty nor safety."
 --Ben Franklin--