[TriLUG] Red Hat 9.0 ?!?!

Kevin Sonney alchemist at darkcanvas.com
Sun Mar 23 14:21:42 EST 2003

On Sun, Mar 23, 2003 at 11:01:01AM -0500, David A. Cafaro spoke thusly:
> Actually this is one spot I'm a little confused by.  Reading the
> Descriptions of the new ES and WS systems (small server and
> workstation?), it sounds like they are based on the old RH 7.2 or 7.3
> series (Gnome 1.4, XFree86 4.1, etc...).  This isn't what I was hoping.

Actually, they're based on AS, a tried and true technology. The *NEXT*
Red Hat Enterprise Linux should have a lot of the  nifty whiz-bang
features from 8 and the as-yet-unnamed, unreleased product that Phoebe
is the beta for.

Each Red Hat Enterprise Linux release will be a single platform and
common code base. This makes it easier for the admins among you to
support. You can expect the sames things of Red Hat Enterprise Linux
2.1 whether it's AS, ES, or WS. This is something our customers asked
for, because they have to manage this thing, and having a large
heterogeneous deployment is hell on admin costs.

> Sorry, I'm pretty sure no one on this list makes the pricing decisions,
> and I have yet to talk to a Red Hat sales person to confirm or deny my
> fears.  I just got this horrible sinking feeling when I read through the
> stuff on the website.  I'm not looking forward to moving my stuff off of
> Red Hat. :-(

Give us a call. It's a local call for most people on the list, and
we'll do our best to help you figure out what fits where in your
organization. And discuss pricing, licensing, and whatnot. *PLUS* We
do listen, and we do tell the people who make those decisions what
customers want to see.

OK, enough "work" for me today. back to trying to get ESD working
properly :)

--
--         Kevin Sonney         --

 LocalWords:  Zim