[TriLUG] sendmail & aliases

Scott Lundgren s_l at mindspring.com
Sun Mar 23 17:27:15 EST 2003

With too much of a head cold to enjoy the great weather outside I'm tackling
sendmail. Using the notes from the sendmail class (thanks jon!) everything
seems to be working. I can send messages out, I can recieve messages to
users that have accounts, and the sendmail installation passes the open
relay tests from that link jason posted. What is failing are aliases.

on RH 8.0
in /etc/mail/aliases (snipped for brevity)
  postmaster:	root    # this alias works
  sl:			scottl  # this fails. scottl is an account that can recieve
messages.
after editing /etc/mail/aliases
$ /usr/bin/newaliases
but messages still return with "SMTP error ...User unknown" in the headers
and the same verbage in /var/log/maillog

Am I missing something?
What should I try before turning the log level more verbose?

- SL