[TriLUG] [OT] odd output from ping

Paul D. Boyle boyle at laue.chem.ncsu.edu
Thu Mar 27 12:49:07 EST 2003

Turnpike Man wrote:
> --- "Paul D. Boyle" <boyle at laue.chem.ncsu.edu> wrote:
> >
> > Does anyone know (or have an opinion) whether this indicates a bona fide
> > technical problem, or why would a site be blocked like this?
> >

> >From what I have read... the server has been overwhelmed since it went online
> this week... *shrugs*  I have no real desire to find out myself.

I looked at the ping.c source and the /usr/include/netinet/ip_icmp.h
file and found that the message I got does correspond to code 13,
"communication adminstratively prohibited by filtering".

Oh well.

Paul

Paul D. Boyle			    |	boyle at laue.chem.ncsu.edu
Director, X-ray Structural Facility |	phone: (919) 515-7362
Department of Chemistry - Box 8204  |	FAX:   (919) 515-5079
North Carolina State University     |	http://www.xray.ncsu.edu
Raleigh, NC, 27695-8204