[TriLUG] DVD-RW Recommendations

Chris Hedemark chrish at trilug.org
Thu Mar 27 16:07:25 EST 2003

On Thursday, March 27, 2003, at 10:58 AM, Jay Barrett wrote:

> I want to backup a two 2GB files on a weekly basis from my NAS (RH7.3)
> and
> was thinking about using a DVD-RW.  Anybody have a positive experience
> and
> care to recommend a product?

Optical media is slow, limited capacity and not terribly robust.  Got a
MiniDV camcorder?  You can use that for higher capacity backups (see
http://freshmeat.net/projects/dvbackup/?topic_id=125%2C137 for more
info).  Basically you can stream about 3.6MBps (note the big B not a
little "b").  You can fit in the neighborhood of 10GB of raw
uncompressed data on there.

Chris Hedemark
PGP/GnuPG Public Key at http://yonderway.com/chris/hedemark.gpg
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin