[TriLUG] AOL's new email policy

Chris Merrill cmerrill at nc.rr.com
Fri Mar 28 15:04:46 EST 2003

Ken Mink wrote:
> Even if I get a domain, unless I can get RR to set up a reverse look up,
> the reverse will still resolve to their dynamic name. Unless I'm
> misunderstanding how resolution works, the owner of the IP address

I'm a little confused, since many domain names (virtual domains) can
potentially map to each IP address.  It seems like this would
break frequently.  Would it not be correct to do a lookup on the
domain name to see if it matches the incoming IP address, rather
than a reverse-DNS lookup?  Can a reverse-DNS lookup return only
one domain name?  Seems like it could (and frequently should) return
many.

What am I missing?

Chris

Chris Merrill