[TriLUG] AOL's new email policy

Mike Johnson mike at enoch.org
Fri Mar 28 15:59:16 EST 2003

Ken Mink [kmtrilug at nc.rr.com] wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-03-28 at 13:20, Kevin Flanagan wrote:
> > On Fri, 2003-03-28 at 13:08, Ken Mink wrote:
> >
> > Ken,
> >

> >  Are you sure that they are looking at Dynamic addresses?  I can't
> > really tell how they would know.  I would suspect that they are trying
> > to do reverse lookups, and if you aren't coming from a registered domain
> > they dump it, that's not quite common practice, but not that unusual
> > either.

First, here's how someone can tell if your IP address is dynamic (sort
of):
http://mail-abuse.org/dul/

There are other lists of dynamic IP addresses out there, I'm sure.

> I don't think tying a domain to my ip will work. If they're going by a
> list that RR has of dynamic ip's, it will still be there even if I have
> a domain.

Yes, see above.

> Even if I get a domain, unless I can get RR to set up a reverse look up,
> the reverse will still resolve to their dynamic name. Unless I'm
> misunderstanding how resolution works, the owner of the IP address
> provides the reverse, if there is one. Owners of the name provide the
> name resolution. No matter how many domains I tie to my IP, RR still
> owns the address and provides the reverse lookup. I could be wrong about
> that.

Not too long ago, Road Runner went through this odd process of moving
all business class IP addresses (I have this level of service) to a new
subnet.  Perhaps this is because of the DUL, I don't know.  But they
will not give you a reverse lookup without a static IP (they can't,
really), and they won't give you a static IP without a business class
account.

Mike
--
"If life hands you lemons, YOU BLOW THOSE LEMONS TO BITS WITH
 YOUR LASER CANNONS!" -- Brak