[TriLUG] AOL's new email policy

H.Wade Minter minter at lunenburg.org
Fri Mar 28 14:25:23 EST 2003

On Friday, March 28, 2003, at 02:07 PM, Ken Mink wrote:
> I'm fairly sure it's the dynamic ip that's causing it. Below is the
> bounce message. My machine passes the open relay tests(does not relay)
> and port 25 is not open to the outside anyway. I am on a dynamic ip, so
> I assume that's the cause.

I know a lot of ISPs use blacklists that wipe out any "dialup" address
space, presumably including the RoadRunner DHCP space, under the
assumption that only spammers will be running SMTP from the dialup
space, and legitimate users will relay through the ISP's mail server.
A sad fact of life in the spam battle.

Your best bet might be to use SMTP AUTH through a server like the
TriLUG one, or alternately set your MTA to smarthost-relay to the
RoadRunner mail server, thus avoiding the problem.

--Wade