[TriLUG] ISO to bootable partition on HDD

Corey Mutter mutterc at nc.rr.com
Sat Mar 29 10:28:53 EST 2003

On Fri, Mar 28, 2003 at 03:29:50PM -0500, Jason Tower wrote:
> mount -o loop /path/to/image.iso /some/mount/point
>
> then you can navigate the ISO image as if it were a "normal" filesystem,
> copy it elsewhere, etc.
>
> jason
>
> On Friday 28 March 2003 15:27, Pam Huntley wrote:
> > How does one take an ISO and make a filesystem out of it?  I have a
> > bootable Linux demo CD I got from someone (a custom thing), and I
> > want to put it on a partition and boot to it so I don't have to mess
> > with the CD.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Pam

The way bootable CD-ROMs work is to embed a floppy-disk image, and have a
"boot catalog" file point to it. The machine's BIOS does some trickery to
redirect the floppy drive to the image from the CD-ROM, then execute it.

Once you've copied all of the files to a Linux partition, you may be able
to install lilo (or your boot loader of choice) and point it to that floppy
disk image as though it were a Linux kernel image (chances are, it is
actually a Linux kernel image).

You'll also have to set the boot loader options to use your new partition
(instead of the CD-ROM) as the root filesystem.

Corey