[TriLUG] AOL's new email policy

Jason White jason at jw2.org
Sat Mar 29 18:01:28 EST 2003

* Corey Mutter (mutterc at nc.rr.com) [030329 10:13]:

[snip]

> Just curious, what's wrong with just using smtp-server.nc.rr.com as your
> smarthost? (This message brought to you with such a setup). This way, all of
> your outbound mail goes through their server, and you needn't worry about
> being on the DUL. (You also needn't worry about how to route mail to anywhere
> but Roadrunner). I've not experienced any reliability problems with doing
> this, but my volume of email is pretty low, YMMV I suppose.

Nothing's *wrong* with using your ISP as a smarthost, but, as you
eluded to, you have to rely on your ISP's availability.

One benefit of *not* using your ISP is that you have more control over
each message, and you will know if the message made it to its
destination, because you will be communicating directly with the SMTP
server on the other end.

Jason