[TriLUG] Re: Alternative for downloading Red Hat Linux 9 ISOs

Scott G. Hall ScottGHall at BellSouth.Net
Sat Mar 29 15:58:43 EST 2003

Jeremy Portzer <jeremyp at pobox.com> wrote:

>As promised, Red Hat Linux 9 was released today for download by RHN
>customers.  However, the RHN download sites have been slammed.  Here's
>an alternative way of getting your ISOs:
>	http://bitconjurer.org/BitTorrent/rh9.html
>
>On another list, someone reported getting 500K/sec via BitTorrent from
>that URL.  (This is a peer-to-peer download protocol.)
>
>For those who can wait, we will have both Mandrake 9.1 and Red Hat Linux
>9 CDs at the TriLUG meeting next Thursday, April 10.  If you'd like to
>get a copy then, please e-mail me (off-list) so I can get a count.

I am going to burn a few Knoppix and Demo Linux CD's.  They're for the
hamfest, but I should have them ready by the meeting.  They give the user
the chance to run Linux from CD-ROM without installing on the harddisk --
it just uses a partition or windows file for the user's home directory.
I have seen one ham operator actually keep his home directory on floppy
so as not to store any of it on disk -- and he can log off and someone
else can insert their home directory to do their thing.  It is also good
at library computers I am told.

I'll have a few copies of SCO/Open Linux as well at the hamfest (formerly
Caldera), but I don't recommend them to the uninitiated -- mine wouldn't
install right under several configurations old and new.  (I read that
Caldera/SCO 3.1.1 is more stable, albeight old.)

Anyone know where to get cheap labels?  I have plenty of software for all
different label-sheet layouts, but at $1 per label page typical from Office
Max, I would like to find something cheaper.  Likewise, how about CD
sleeves?
Office Max has a box of 20 for $6, a little high I think, though they are
tough plastic, and I can stuff up to 4 CD's in one.

Oh, and any chance someone can burn a few Suse Linux boot CD's for FTP
install?  I tried to locate what I need from their site, and got lost in
the quagmire of all the different versions of boot disks, much less what
other images I would need.

--
Scott G. Hall,
Raleigh, NC, USA