AOL bought Earthlink??? (was Re: [TriLUG] Re: sendmail header question)

David A. Cafaro dac at cafaro.net
Mon Mar 31 10:51:16 EST 2003

On Mon, 2003-03-31 at 02:20, Scott G. Hall wrote:
> Yea, and did you notice that those are all companies owned by AOL?  They
> bought CompuServ in the late '90s, and Earthlink a year ago last summer
> (shortly after Earthlink bought Mindspring -- another one to add to your
> list).  I used to be a Mindspring customer and jumped ship when AOL made
> worse the already deteriorating service from Earthlink.

Uhm, just curious but when did AOL buy Earthlink?  I never heard of
this, and doing some google searches, I can't find anything to back this
up.  The closest I could find was an agreement with Time-warner to offer
Earthlink Internet over their cable modem lines (part of the agreement
for AOL and Time-warner to merge).  Anyways, could you point me to
something that actually talks about this buyout?  Thanks.

-David

PS.  I dropped Mindspring way back when they started blocking outbound
port 25 connections so that you could only send email through their SMTP
servers.  Was very annoying.