[TriLUG] moving from RH 8 to Mandrake 9.1

H Brett Bolen brettb at nc.rr.com
Tue Apr 1 12:08:40 EST 2003

Daniel Monjar wrote:
> Are there any issues with using a file system created under RH 8 with a
> Mandrake 9.1 system?  I'm considering moving to 9.1 but don't really
> want to reformat my /home partition... Or would it be better to format
> the whole thing and restore /home from tape?

No, just dont' tell it to reformat the /home partition.  I did this
( redhat 72 to mdk 91) and it went fine.

One thing you might think about is to rename your home directory before
you do the install.  There are some things that did not come through
( like bookmarks on mozilla -- I cant explain this, it has worked before).

Also, there may be differences in some of the settings.  It is easier
just to rename your home directory ( mv /home/brettb /home/obrettb),
and durring the install of mdk91 add a new user ( brettb).  You can
copy over the files you need from the old account.

I've done this many of times without a problem -- but you should have
a backup ready just incase.  I usually save all of /etc from the last
os before I install.  Also any files in my home directory.

It is possible to tar up the files and put them on an unused partion (
such  a windows partition) for a backup.

good luck.