[TriLUG] Laptop boot issues...

Darrell Sandiford dsandif at email.unc.edu
Tue Apr 1 13:49:56 EST 2003

Hello all,

I have a laptop with dual boot  Linux\windows ME on it. Of late, when I
boot up in Linux or shutdown either by the control panel or by issuing
the "shutdown -h 0" command, all of a sudden, the image\screen will go
white...either all at once or gradually fade to white and the system
will lock up. I have to manually power down and restart the laptop a
couple of times before I can finally get a clean boot up. Again, this
happens either when I boot up or when I shutdown and it only happens in
Linux. These are the following updates or boot options and kernels that
were placed on the laptop so far:
2.4.18.27.7.x
2.4.18.24.7.x
2.4.18.19.7.x
2.4.18.17.7.x
2.4.9-34
2.4.9-31
2.4.7-10
  I'm thinking that it might be an X-windows problem but I'm not sure.
Any ideas as to what this is and how I can resolve it would be deeply
appreciated. Please bear with me if I use incorrect terminology, I am
some what new to the Linux RedHat world of things, Thanks.

Darrell.