[TriLUG] amanda compressed dumps

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Tue Apr 1 15:58:07 EST 2003

On Tue, 2003-04-01 at 14:18, JoJo Almario wrote:
> Are there any Amanda experts in the group?  I have a thirty gig tape
> drive I am having trouble getting 30 gigs of data on there.  I have it
> set on the disk list as:
> localhost /home comp-always-full.  I dont know if thats offering the
> compression I need.  Any body know what it should be for fast compression?

What kind of data is mostly in /home ?  It might very well already be
compressed, in which case the Amanda compression (or the hardware
compression of your tape drive) won't help much.  In fact, compressing
something twice can sometimes *increase* the size due to headers and
such.

--Jeremy

--
| Jeremy Portzer       jeremyp at pobox.com       trilug.org/~jeremy     |