[TriLUG] Laptop boot issues...

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Tue Apr 1 22:05:25 EST 2003

On Tue, 2003-04-01 at 16:17, Darrell Sandiford wrote:
> A dell Inspiron/8000
>

> Roy Vestal wrote:
> > which laptop? what video? I had this on my toshiba 2800-S201 and it worked
> > fine no problem even though it was a S3 Savage/MX video. Course now it's
> > running Solaris 2.8. :)
> >
> > On Tuesday 01 April 2003 1:49 pm, Darrell Sandiford wrote:

May not help, but the last time this happened to me I was pretty sure it
was one of my ISA devices.  Which narrowed it down pretty fast.  I
commented out the Sound devices from the /etc/modules.conf and the
laptop ran fine there-after.  I guess it was trying to play some sound
while unloading the modules and it just couldn't handle it.

You might try booting with a knoppix CD and see if that gives you full
functionality. If it works fine under knoppix, then you should look at
the devices used by that distro and emulate that. Knoppix seems to have
truly remarkable auto-device configuration.  I'm even thinking of
pulling out some of my older POS and seeing what Knoppix can do with
those machines.

Jon