[TriLUG] Which distro for rs/6000 AIX box?

Heath Holcomb bluetea at nc.rr.com
Thu Apr 3 13:28:55 EST 2003

On Thu, Apr 03, 2003 at 01:01:45PM -0500, bp wrote:
> I downloaded and burned Red Hat 7.1 PPC think that the PPC would be
> installable on an IBM Model 140 RS/6000 machine.  Now I'm thinking that
> PPC and RS/6000 architecture is diff?

RS/6000 does use PPC chips.

> Do I have the right CDs?  Will they boot just like Linux/Intel distros
> or the AIX 5.1 CDs do on this platform?
>
> -bp

There was a thread about this not too long ago. The upshot was that the
Red Hat PPC CDs work on some RS/6000 machines, while others are not supported.
If your machine is supported, I think it should boot from the CDs just as it
would with an AIX boot CD. Unfortunately, I'm not sure where to get the info
on which machines are supported and which are not.

Also, I would think twice about installing Red Hat 7.1 on PowerPC. It's no
longer actively maintained, so your software is going to be old and patches
will be hard to come by. Debian has a PowerPC port that seems to be current
and has a fair amount of documentation. I'm sure there are others too.

Good luck!

Heath

--
Heath Holcomb