MySQL and PostgreSQL (was Re: [TriLUG] Interesting article: Ellison: Linu.....)

David A. Cafaro dac at cafaro.net
Thu Apr 3 14:42:02 EST 2003

Yes MySQL has BLOB (Binary Large Object), from the MySQL manual:

6.2.3.2 The BLOB and TEXT Types

A BLOB is a binary large object that can hold a variable amount of data.
The four BLOB types TINYBLOB, BLOB, MEDIUMBLOB, and LONGBLOB differ only
in the maximum length of the values they can hold. See section 6.2.6
Column Type Storage Requirements.

The four TEXT types TINYTEXT, TEXT, MEDIUMTEXT, and LONGTEXT correspond
to the four BLOB types and have the same maximum lengths and storage
requirements.

I happily use MySQL for my Web Based Apps as a DB backend (JSP/Servlet
apps). (I don't use BLOBs or transactions, don't need them), it does a
great job of keeping user accounts, url's, email information (in house
limited private email), message boards, statistics etc, etc..  No
complaints, it does it fast and simple.

Also for the record MySQL 4+ does now support transactions (if you need
that).  But Stored Procedures and Triggers are not planned till version
5, so if you need that look at PostgreSQL or Oracle or someone else.

You can look at the MySQL manual here:

http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/index.html

I personally would recommend using MySQL as a great way to learn some of
the basics of SQL and DB's, it may not be as feature rich as PostgreSQL
or Oracle, but it's easy to get started, runs quick and will provide a
great way to start understanding most of the fundamentals.  Not to
mention for a lot of things it works great.

Everyone has their favorites, and it always comes down to personal
preference and remembering that one tool doesn't do it all the BEST.

-David