[TriLUG] compiling RPM on a non Red Hat system

Frank Hale (majic) frankhale at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 3 21:05:48 EST 2003

I'm trying to build RPM 4.1 on a non Red Hat system.
It successfully builds only if I do not disable NLS,
which I want to do. If I pass ./configure
--disable-nls it will fail with the following error:

poptALL.c: In function `rpmcliInit':
poptALL.c:338: parse error before ';' token
make[3]: *** [poptALL.lo] Error 1

Is there any reason why it will do this? If I don't
disable NLS then it builds fine. Is NLS needed to
build RPM? Or do I have another problem maybe with my
setup.

Okay one more question. When RPM is installed it
creates its build dirs in: /usr/src/pc

usr/src/pc/BUILD/
usr/src/pc/RPMS/
usr/src/pc/RPMS/athlon/
usr/src/pc/RPMS/i386/
usr/src/pc/RPMS/i486/
usr/src/pc/RPMS/i586/
usr/src/pc/RPMS/i686/
usr/src/pc/RPMS/noarch/
usr/src/pc/SOURCES/
usr/src/pc/SPECS/
usr/src/pc/SRPMS/

I wanna change the dir pc to the name of my distro.
I've looked through all of the configure options. And
I've looked through alot of the files in the rpm
tarball. Could somebody point me to a reference on how
to change the default path for the RPM build dirs.

Thanks

=====
aka: majic
code: http://sapphire.sf.net , http://aewmpp.sunsite.dk