[TriLUG] Setting up a web proxy for gaim?

Chris Hedemark chrish at trilug.org
Sun Apr 6 20:28:21 EDT 2003

On Sunday, April 6, 2003, at 04:58 PM, Tom Bryan wrote:

> I suspect that the firewall is blocking whatever port AIM uses.
[snip]
> I noticed that AIM can use an HTTP proxy.  Would it be sane to set up
> an HTTP
> proxy on my laptop and point AIM to that?  What proxy do you recommend?

You ask a mailing list full of sysadmins how to make a sysadmin's life
harder than it needs to be?

How about this... call your sysadmin, ask if AIM is being blocked
explicitly, and if this is the case merely go along with your
employer's wishes (or submit a good business case for why AIM should be
un-blocked at the firewall).

Chances are if it is blocked on purpose and you are found out trying to
circumvent it, you're going to become the target of a very dangerous
person.  Beware the vengeance of BOFH's.