[TriLUG] bootstrapping a rpm base system

Frank Hale (majic) frankhale at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 6 22:47:52 EDT 2003

So if I wanted to bootstrap a base linux system from
scratch using RPM would I disable automatic dep
checking for each build of the base packages, Using
the variable AutoReqProv and then install them (not
forcing or using --nodeps). Then rebuild them with
deps on and then upgrade the current system so they
now are part of the dependency tree? Is that what it
means to bootstrap the system. What I would like to do
is replace my current Crux pkgtools and installed
packages with a full RPM set of packages that mirror
the exact packages currently on my Crux system. Kinda
like swapping out one package management tool and
packages for another. But at the end of the exercise
I'll have just swapped entire package sets and tools.
The system would be exactly the same except now be
using RPM as my management tool of choice.

If this question sounds silly its because I'm totally
confused as to RPM's dependency magic. I have every
faith in the world that I can make the RPM's its just
getting over that bootstrapping mumbo jumbo.

Thanks for any info you may provide...

=====
aka: majic
code: http://sapphire.sf.net , http://aewmpp.sunsite.dk