[TriLUG] cdrecord

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Tue Apr 8 16:36:44 EDT 2003

On Tue, 2003-04-08 at 14:26, Tanner Lovelace wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-04-08 at 16:10, Jeremy Portzer wrote:
>

> > But I also noticed this "gem":
> > 	$rpm -qi cdrecord | grep License
> > 	License: GPL
> >
> > So doesn't the license of the software take precedence?  The GPL doesn't
> > require accurate documentation or the other things mentioned in the
> > above comment.  Though I agree with the cdrecord author that it does
> > make a lot of sense to update the documentation and indicate the reasons
> > for the change.  But it's not "required."
>
> Well, personally, I would give great weight to what the author wants.
> He/she did write all the code themselves and they chose the license.
> They can just as easily change the license to prevent people from
> doing that and not ticking them off would seem to be the prudent course
> of action.

The LSB (as of the recent v1.3) mostly specifies the contents of /etc
indirectly by referencing the FHS v2.2.  Looking at the FHS description,
we have:

  http://www.pathname.com/fhs/2.2/fhs-3.7.html

which says nothing specific about whether one should prefer to use Joerg
Schilling's "/etc/default/cdrecord" or some other path/file name.

I guess whats left out of the LSB (and referenced standards) is perhaps
just as important as what actually gets included?  ;-)

And as of RH 8 & 9, the cdrtools-cdrecord RPM appears to use the program
author's preferred location so we really shouldn't break a sweat over
this, right?

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD