[TriLUG] RHN Subscription Terms - Slightly Pathological

Scott Chilcote scottchilcote at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 9 11:26:18 EDT 2003

Hi Folks,

I'm not one of these people who barks about every commercially oriented
move RH makes.  I'd like them to be very successful, along with the
majority of OS business ventures.

On the other hand, I'm finding their current RHN setup to be very
annoying.  After installing 7.3 I signed up to RHN.  After a while it
expired, and I found that I needed to fill out a long form in order to
reactivate it.  Great, maybe I'll get to it someday, but I have other
priorities.

The problem is that I'm still getting all of these RHN notifications to
my email address, and there's no way to shut the $#%@! things off
without completing their questionnaire to reactivate my account!

I clicked on the "click here to change your errata alert preferences"
link and it says "Account Disabled".  I have to complete their survey
and reactivate my account before any changes will take effect.

I have never heard of a "you must re-register in order to opt out"
policy before, and I'm finding this more than a little annoying.

Anyone know something about this that I've overlooked?  Is it not as bad
as it seems?  At this point, I don't care to use RHN anymore, and I'd
like a straightforward way to turn off their frequent notifications.

Thanks.

            Scott C.